Store Associate, Thrift Shop
Full Time • Thrift Shop-Alberta Avenue
WHO WE ARE
Are you a Retail Professional looking to make an impact in your community? Do you have endless optimism, ready to move and create change in the community? Through the vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our community comes from all walks of life and so do we.
Through our programs we work to empower people from meeting their own basic daily needs to having sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, and feeling hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life. By joining Bissell Centre, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to realize our vision.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for an individual wanting to join a Thrift Shop team. Are you ready to be our Store Associate, Thrift Shop and make an impact in our community?
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Store Associate, Thrift Shop, is responsible for supporting the store management team in delivering exceptional customer service in our retail settings. This position requires the ability to multitask and adapt to changing priorities. Daily tasks include but are not limited to cash and process, merchandising, pricing, store cleanliness, processing donations and interacting with donors and community participants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Model the values of Bissell Centre and communicate these principles in a clear and compelling fashion both internally and externally. Translate agency values into Thrift Shop culture and everyday activities to foster a welcoming and engaging working environment.
- Mission focused and driven to provide services and access to clothing necessities for our community participants.
Store Operations, Customer Service and Maintenance
- Ensure that each customer receives outstanding service by enabling a friendly environment, which includes greeting, acknowledging, and re-approaching every customer, maintaining solid product knowledge and all other aspects of customer service.
- Greet all donors and receive goods in a timely and professional manner.
- Assist donors in loading and unloading heavy bags, appliances, and furniture from their vehicles.
- Ensure store is visually appealing through product presentation, replenishment, store housekeeping and visual displays.
- Inspect and provide final quality control on soft goods prior to merchandising on the sales floor.
- Hang all types of clothes, linens, and accessories as per specific hanging standards.
- Manage professional relationships and respond to incoming customer inquiries to determine sale potential.
- Price items according to pricing guides, appraising and online research.
- Process payments and transactions in the POS system.
- Contribute to the cleanliness of the store and all common spaces within the premises.
- Contribute to external cleanliness such as sweeping or shoveling sidewalks, disposing of garbage on property premises and assisting in minor maintenance and/or repairs.
- Show empathy and the ability to communicate with and support individuals experiencing mental health, addictions, chronic illness, houselessness, poverty, and related challenges. Able to respond appropriately to intense situations, provide conflict resolution and work directly with individuals with barriers.
Back of House Support
- Greet all donors and receive goods in a timely and professional manner.
- Sort donations into appropriate categories and inspect for condition and salability. Properly dispose of damaged or unsellable goods into salvage or general waste.
- Prepare clothing and other necessities for scheduled delivery to Community Closet.
- Maintain the work area for safe and efficient sorting of goods and other operational activities.
General and Administrative
- Support agency policies and procedures, including reporting of staff concerns, safety issues and critical incidents.
- Participate in probationary and annual performance evaluations.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings, training sessions and performance check-ins.
- Participate in routine morning team rallies with store staff prior to operating business hours.
- Adhere to all Health and Safety and Loss Prevention policies and procedures to ensure the safety and security of staff, customers, and community participants.
- Perform other duties as required that may not be listed in the formal job description or as assigned by the Store Manager.
Qualifications & Commitment to Values
Formal Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Relevant work experience including a minimum of 6+ months in a retail store associate position.
- Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with the non-profit industry and/or retail non-profit operations is considered an asset.
- Personal commitment to Bissell Centre’s Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- Ability to apply Bissell Centre’s Strategic Framework into day-to-day work.
- Commitment to maintaining integrity and confidentiality related to Bissell Centre.
This position works closely with community participants who are experiencing complex life situations. As such, this position requires a calm and empathetic demeanor with the ability to de-escalate conflict and intense situations with clear and effective communication methods.
Ability to spend frequent periods of time standing and frequent periods of time moving, bending, and lifting. It is a frequent requirement to stoop or lift material, fixtures or equipment and climb ladders. Employees must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
Ability to work in a warehouse environment with varying temperatures and frequent exposure to dust, pet hair, smoke, and other potential allergens.
Flexibility of the working week is inherent in this position as the workload fluctuates. Flexibility to work a combination of weekdays and weekends is required.
The Store Associate should demonstrate strong competency in the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the mission, vision, and core values of Bissell Centre.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Service Focus: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of participants and the community to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Foster, sustain and role model productive team management practices, and contribute to a positive team environment. Share expertise and knowledge to support, coach and develop others.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Stay Organized: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information, and activities.
- Plan Proactively: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create, and implement action plans, and evaluate the processes and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Adapt to Change: Personal capacity to adapt to change, lead competently through change, and make strategic adjustments to address changing needs.
- Self-Motivate: Capable of demonstrating independence and entrepreneurialism.
- Work SMART: Create goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time Bound.
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Record Check
- Class 5 License, 3 Year Driver’s Abstract, Proof of Vehicle Liability Insurance and Registration (applicable only if operating agency vehicles)
- Conflict into Calm Training
- Naloxone Kit Training
- WHMIS Training
- Standard First Aid & CPR/AED Training (optional)
- Talent LMS Course(s) Assignments
The above listed training requirements must be completed within the first three months of employment. Other training requirements may be identified during employment and must be completed as directed.
Wage: $19.48 per hour
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell Centre continues to take action to protect person served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell Centre’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.