Fundraise for Bissell Centre
Host a DIY event to raise funds for Bissell Centre, so more individuals and families can access the support they need to rise up out of poverty.
Fundraisers can be simple or elaborate—it all starts with a your passion for giving back.
You may wish to host a BBQ, movie night, auction, sports tournament, birthday or bake sale. Below are other examples of how you can make a difference in your community.
Using the hashtag #bundleupyeg, Jasmine Topham and her team of volunteers have delivered 3,700 bags of warm winter clothing on behalf of generous Edmontonians to Bissell Centre and other agencies who support people experiencing homelessness.
Students from Strathcona High School raised money in support of Bissell during their 24 hour Bike-a-Thon. The students raised $190,000 in a five week period, and enable us to launch our Outreach Housing program.
Twelve chefs and twelve bartenders came together to host an evening of food and drink in support of Bissell Centre. $10,000 was raised to benefit individuals and families who are struggling in our community. ⠀
Each year, U of A’s Circle K International Club wraps Christmas gifts in Hudson’s Bay stores for a minimum donation to Bissell Centre. They raise an average of $10,000 to support people who rely on our Childcare.
The Al Rashid Youth Club raised $10,000 to help save our New Year’s Day Dinner. The funds were raised over the course of the year through BBQs, bottle drives, Krispy Kreme sales, and by collecting donations from generous businesses.
Grade 6 students from Bisset Elementary School held a bottle drive and collected warm winter clothing to provide essential items for individuals and families who access our Community Closets.
Information You Need to Know
An event can be any activity by a non-affiliated group (e.g. school groups, unions, or corporations) or individual. Bissell Centre has no fiduciary responsibility and little or no staff involvement, however, we will support you and your event as much as possible to help it be a success.
Here’s how we can support one another
We can help you by:
- Offering advice on how to plan your Community Fundraiser
- Coordinating approval of our name and logo use on all your promotional materials
- Providing sample sponsorship letters to use for your event
- Providing brochures and information about Bissell Centre for you to use at your event
- Promoting your community fundraiser by retweeting and sharing on social media platforms
- Issuing tax receipts according to CRA guidelines.
We are not able to:
- Guarantee attendance of a staff member at events due to limited capacity
- Apply for permits, licenses or insurance on your behalf
- Provide event volunteers
- Provide insurance coverage
- Assume any legal or financial responsibility relating to the fundraising event or event organizer(s)
- Provide participant, staff, donor or sponsor names or contact information
- Provide financial support for event administration including covering costs, expenses or managing the event budget
- Solicit sponsorship revenue
- Provide prizes, auction items or awards