Full Time • Accounting/Finance
WHO WE ARE
Are you an Accountant Professional looking to make an impact in your community? Do you have endless optimism, ready to move and create change in the community? Through the vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our community comes from all walks of life and so do we.
Through our programs we work to empower people from meeting their own basic daily needs to having sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, and feeling hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life. By joining Bissell Centre, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to realize our vision.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for an individual wanting to join the Accounting/Finance team. Are you ready to be our Accountant and make an impact in our community?
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Accounting Team Lead, the Accountant is a key member of the Finance team, whose scope of responsibilities primarily is to ensure the accurate recording of funding received and resolving discrepancies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all incoming deposits are processed and recorded in the financial systems in compliance with Bissell’s financial policies and procedures, and CRA guidelines.
- Liaison with the Resource Development team about donations received and processed to ensure accurate recording.
- Generate aged accounts receivable ledger reports. Reconcile the ledger to ensure all payments are accounted for and properly posted. Follow-up with outstanding accounts.
- Develop and maintain accounts receivable processes and ensure they are up-to-date and documented.
- Manage the disbursement of gift cards and petty cash, ensure disbursements are accurately tracked and recorded. Prepare bank deposit for excess petty cash and prepare letter of direction to bank for withdrawal of petty cash when required. Transport petty cash to and from the bank.
- Completion of month end duties by their reoccurring due dates.
- Develop and sustain effective and professional relationships with internal and external customers.
- Track and collect health benefit payments for staff that are on a leave of absence.
- Maintain accurate filing of accounts receivable documents.
- Participate in the annual audit by pulling samples and support requested by the auditors.
- Process and record client repayments for Bissell’s Community Bridge program, maintain record of approved loan applications.
- Complete monthly financial reports, claims, and invoices as requested by funders.
Social Enterprise Support:
- Record daily sales for Bissell’s Thrift Stores.
- Manage invoicing for Bissell’s social enterprises by preparing, posting, and sending out invoices, following up on overdue accounts, collecting payments and maintaining effective and professional relationships with social enterprise staff and customers.
- With support from the Agency, improve and document the social enterprise invoicing process using a process improvement framework that will include input, consultation, and collaboration with various staff across the social enterprise departments.
- Provide back-up support and coverage for Accounts Payable Accountant role when they are away.
- Receive, sort, and distribute mail to Bissell staff. Provide back-up for reception to pick-up mail from Canada Post.
- Other duties and projects as requested by Finance leadership.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Diploma or Degree in Finance or Accounting
- Three years of experience in finance sector
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work collaboratively
- Adaptable and resilient, with the ability to build relationships and trust quickly
- High level of professionalism with strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent critical thinking capabilities to troubleshoot and resolve conflicts
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Software Usage Proficiency: Intermediate Microsoft Office capability, specifically Excel and Outlook.
- Sector Knowledge an Asset: Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core and knowledge of relevant community and government resources.
- Professionalism: Ability to portray a superior level of professionalism and adhere to a strict policy of confidentiality.
- Entrepreneurial and Self-motivated: Capable of demonstrating independence and entrepreneurialism.
- Communication Skills: An excellent communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
- Service and Results Oriented: Is focused on developing and delivering high quality, effective programs and services to staff.
- Analytical and Decision-Making Skills: Strong conceptual and analytical skills, with the ability to recognize as well as assess emerging issues and situations objectively, think creatively outside the box, and make sound decisions; is decisive and accountable.
- Organizational and Project Management Skills: Has strong organization and process skills; meets deadlines; is able to prioritize a diverse workload and manage multiple projects at once; has keen attention to detail, accuracy and quality.
- Interpersonal and Relationship Building Skills: Approachable, with the ability to build trust and respect, cultivate strong positive relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Change Management Skills: Personal capacity to adapt to change, lead competently through change, and make strategic adjustments to address changing needs.
Conditions of Work
- Flexibility of the working day is inherent in the position. Hybrid work model can be discussed; however, a number of the responsibilities must be done onsite to ensure financial controls are met.
- Use of personal vehicle will be required; however, mileage will be paid on work related use.
- Community Safety Walk participate is a Bissell wide procedure that all positions take part in.
- No Direct Reports
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Welfare Intervention Check
- Driver’s Abstract
- Conflict into Calm Training – must be completed during the first year of employment
- Other required training may be identified as required
The above-noted training must be completed during the first six months of employment or as agreed upon by the supervisor.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Accounting Team Lead
Application Deadline: January 27th,2023
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell Centre continues to take action to protect person served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell Centre’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.