Walk for Bissell on Saturday, February 24, 2024
Start by asking family and friends to support you through donations in the weeks leading up to your walk, and on February 24, get walking!
On event day, Join us on one of our pre-selected routes (2 km or 5 km) or, if you prefer, create a path of your own. Walk through downtown Edmonton in solidarity with the other teams and alongside friends and family. Don’t forget to take a few selfies along the way and tag #WalkForBissell on your favourite social media platform.
This event is a COVID-safe and family-friendly walk to raise funds for charities serving people experiencing homelessness, hurt, and hunger across the country. This year, Bissell Centre has set a goal of $200,000 in donations, and we can’t do it without you!
Walk with us on Saturday, February 24, 2024 – everyone is welcome!
Why We Walk for Bissell
Too many individuals and families are struggling in our community, especially during winter’s coldest months. Funds raised will support our Community Space in helping people experiencing houselessness, providing a safe and welcoming space to access basic needs like food, clothing, shelter, and hygiene facilities, along with life-changing supports so that they can move out of poverty
About the Community Space
Funds received through Coldest Night of the Year will go towards the Bissell Centre Community Space, which provides both long and short-term supports seven days a week for those experiencing houselessness.
Basic needs supports:
- laundry services
- clothing through our community closet
- medical services (nurse on-site daily and doctor on-site once a week)
- mental health
- cultural supports
- financial empowerment
In December, the Community Space saw 1,901 individuals access its services 14,120 times. In that same time period, 5490 pounds of clothing items were distributed to community members.
Coldest Night of the Year Plans
We’ll meet at Boyle Street Plaza (9538 103 A Ave NW) to start, and from there, here’s the plan:
- 4:00 pm: Meet Check-in opens
- 5:00 pm: Move Opening remarks + send-off
- 6:00 pm: Munch Light meal served
- 7:00 pm: Mosey Goodbye + Go Home
- Rest stops: Keep an eye out for opportunities to rest and refresh with yummy snacks along the route.
- Signage: All routes will be well-signed with our bold blue CNOY signs.
- Route Support: Route marshals, rest stop hosts, and support vehicle drivers provide support along the route.
- 12 and under walkers must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times.
- Toques: Fundraising walkers who raise $150+ (or $75+ for those under 18) will receive a CNOY toque as a thank-you on event day, while supplies last.
Share the Cause on Social
We’ve created a toolkit for team captains and walkers to use that includes a few pre-written posts to help you ask for team members and donations. Take a look! We hope you find it useful.
Fundraise online and share your walk using #WalkForBissell to be featured here at Walk HQ!
Thanks to all of the generous sponsors who make Coldest Night of the Year possible.
Lead Sponsor | Royal Alexandra Hospital Foundation
The Coldest Night of the Year walk is an event rooted in community and compassion and represents what Bissell Centre stands for—slow and steady progress forward for those who may feel a step behind. And above all, it restores hope. The Royal Alexandra Hospital Foundation is proud to continue its lead sponsorship of and support for the walk—and, in turn, Bissell Centre—in our common goal of improving health for all Albertans.