Not all services offered at Bissell Centre are run formally through programs. We offer assistance in many areas, like acting as a mailing address for individuals who don’t have an address of their own. These services can be accessed by walking into either our Bissell Centre East or West buildings and speaking to any of our staff members.
For example, we offer the following, on either a daily, weekly or occasional basis:
- Assistance with income tax forms from tax professionals during tax time, at Bissell Centre East
- Nurses specializing in treating sexually transmitted infections, at Bissell Centre West
- Mail service, at Bissell Centre East
- Foot care provided by Capital Health Community Health nurses, at Bissell Centre West
- Aboriginal traditional teachings and cultural programming, at Bissell Centre West
- Haircuts provided by volunteer stylists, at Bissell Centre West
Many of our clients are at high risk of being or are homeless. Most live in poverty, many with chronic physical and mental illnesses, and have little or no support systems.
The Robert Tegler Friendship Room (Adult Drop-in Centre) is a space for men and women to socialize, get their basic daily needs met, and get connected to information regarding food, employment and housing programs and services. Our staff members are on hand to provide a calm and safe environment. On average, 400 people attend the Drop-in Centre daily. Our doors are open seven days per week. More than 300 meals are served daily.
Our adult support and mental health workers work closely with our Drop-in Centre. Our adult support workers assist with advocacy (call professionals, write letters of support, accompany individuals); make referrals to other agencies; provide assistance with medical issues; and offer emotional support.
An intake Resource Worker is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday to meet with community members who have immediate needs such as obtaining medical care, clothing vouchers, social assistance, and advocacy. AADAC workers are also available on site. Free clothing is available through our Community Closet.