Volunteer Virtual Tax Preparer
As part of the Make Tax Time Pay program, Bissell Centre offers free income tax preparation, financial resources information, and applications for government benefits and subsidies to individuals and families with modest income.
Volunteers will support individuals and families by completing basic tax returns at home using UFile software and filing taxes online. This role directly contributes to the financial well-being of individuals and families living with a modest income.
There is no prior experience required for this role, and all training will be provided.
- Over the age of 18
- Friendly, patient, and welcoming demeanor
- Ability to work with socially and culturally diverse groups in a non-judgemental manner
- Comfortable handling personal financial information in a professional manner
- Complete basic tax returns using UFile software and file taxes online
- Check to ensure all needed information is present and reported correctly
- Maintains confidentiality of all personal information
- Commit to a tax turnaround time of about a week per return
- Volunteers will work at home and will pick up prepared envelopes with tax information ready to be filed from Bissell Centre
- Volunteer support will be provided remotely by the Financial Empowerment Coordinator
- Volunteers are provided with a 2.5 hour training session that includes an orientation to Bissell Centre and Make Tax Time Pay. Training includes a thorough review of the tax filing process.
- Complete Application Form
- Interview and Reference Check
- Police Information Check
- Volunteer Waiver
- Review and agreement to Bissell Centre policies and procedures
- Register with CRA as a volunteer tax preparer
- Register with CRA for an EFile Number and RepID (may take up to 30 days for approval)
- Develop new skills
- Directly contribute to supporting the financial wellbeing of Edmonton’s most vulnerable citizens
- Work in a relaxed team environment that promotes relationship building
- Enhance your own knowledge of the tax system
- A reference may be provided upon completion of 3 months