Volunteer Services and Events Coordinator (Full Time)
Full Time • Volunteer Services
Are you someone who is always on top of their to-do list? Ridiculously organized, almost to a fault, and loves meeting and inspiring new people? Do you enjoy the rush that comes with planning and organizing events? And perhaps, most importantly, can you name your favorite Marvel Superhero?
Bissell Centre is looking for a passionate and dedicated Volunteer Services and Events Coordinator. This 5-month, full-time temporary position (November to March) provides direct support to both our volunteer services and program/fundraising events.
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals. For more information, please visit www.bissellcentre.org
- Implement recruitment strategies to recruit volunteers with the right skills as well as complete intake and screening protocols for potential volunteers to ensure the best match and in accordance with accepted standards and practices.
- Follow orientation and on-boarding processes for new volunteers to increase their understanding of Bissell Centre and its participants, services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers.
- Process group volunteer applications and maintain correspondence with the group’s contact person. Place volunteer groups for scheduled shifts and implement follow up procedures.
- Provide Lead Role support (set up, planning, execution and on-going evaluation) in a number of agency-wide program and fundraising events including Festive Season, and Coldest Night of the Year.
- Complete data entry regarding volunteer information and key statistics including numbers of volunteers and hours in a variety of roles and volunteer placements.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Completion of post-secondary education preferred, with preference to those with 1-2 years of experience in the not-for-profit sector.
- Experience recruiting, screening, placing, and motivating volunteers and/or staff.
- Experience coordinating and executing community and/or large-scale public events.
- Excellent multi-tasking and ability to prioritize numerous tasks and requests required.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills along with a positive and friendly attitude.
- Results-oriented with strong organizational, presentation, and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core an asset.
- Demonstrate a high competency in computer systems (Word, Excel, Outlook, and database programs)
- Police Information Record and Child Intervention checks are required
- A valid Driver’s License, satisfactory driver’s abstract, and proof of $1 million PLPD insurance is required as operation of a personal vehicle may be required.
This is a full-time position working 40 hour per week. Evenings, weekend, and some statutory holiday work will be required. Daytime travel will be required on occasion within the greater Edmonton area.
$18 – $22/hour
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by October 20th.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.