Thrift Shop Associate
Relief • Thrift Shop
About Bissell Centre
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Bissell Centre’s Thrift Shop is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Thrift Shop Associate. The Thrift Shop is one of Bissell Centre’s social enterprises that provides an alternative shopping experience that is affordable, environmentally responsible, and gives back to the community. Revenue that is generated through the Thrift Shop goes back to support Bissell’s programs and services that support people experiencing poverty.
The role of the Thrift Shop Associate is to assist the Store Manager and team by ensuring exceptional customer service that is timely and accurate. This position requires the ability to multitask; daily tasks could include: working cash, stocking store merchandise, maintaining store cleanliness, processing donations and supporting donors.
- Maintain a calm, professional demeanor, and positive attitude while performing your duties in an accurate manner.
- Deliver exceptional customer service
- Engage customers in a courteous, helpful, and respectful manner, promptly and politely respond to customer inquiries and customer requests for support
- Process customer transactions through the register
- Collect and process payment from customer and enters into POS system (includes applying discounts, providing change and receipts)
- Ensure store is visually appealing through product presentation, replenishment, store housekeeping and visual displays
- Stay alert to surroundings and alert management to any situation that seems dangerous and/or suspicious
- Report any incidents/accidents, ensuring that confidential information is reported to the supervisor or manager on shift
Sorting and Donation Processing
- Greet all donors and receive goods in a timely and professional manner
- Turn away inappropriate items in a non-threatening manner that ensures donor/customer understanding
- Sort donations into appropriate categories, ensure items are clean and not damaged, discard unsaleable items for salvage
- When totes are full, wheel them over to the pricing station and place each item in the appropriately priced tote for price tagging
- Sort for Bissell Centre program requests when applicable
- Maintain the work area for efficient and effective sorting
- Completion of High School or equivalent
- Ability to lift at least 25lbs and stand for long periods of time
- Previous customer service experience and/or cash handling experience is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills, results oriented, attention to detail, strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Check
Conditions of Work
This is a casual position, employee must be available to work 10am to 6:30pm Monday to Saturday.
Position will be posted until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.