Senior Development Officer
Full Time • Resource Development
Through the vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our mission is to work with others to empower people to move from poverty to cultural, social, and economic prosperity. We empower people to meet their own basic daily needs, participate in community and have sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, feel hope for the future, and make plans for a prosperous life. By joining Bissell Centre, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to realize our vision.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Development Officer (FT). The right person for this role understands that strong relationships are key to making a positive impact in the community. If you’re an intuitive listener who gets a buzz from a great conversation, then this may be the role for you. You take initiative and persevere to understand our donors and participants; and you’re adaptable and resilient when things don’t go according to plan. Under the guidance of the Manager of Development, the Development Officer will focus on building relationships with a portfolio of supporters and donors with the goal to increase donor engagement and philanthropic giving resulting in support for the programs and needs of Bissell Centre. This role will develop and execute fund development initiatives focused on engaging supporters with the organization in meaningful and impactful ways.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Planning, developing, and implementing strategies to effectively identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward assigned donors with the goal of strengthening the relationship between Bissell Centre and the donor
- Actively manage a portfolio of 150+ grant, major gift, and planned giving prospects and donors
- Identify, upgrade, and manage multi-year partnerships
- Work with the program departments to secure appropriate project information, including financial and in-kind needs, program objectives, and success stories
- Write and edit materials including case statements, compelling proposals, presentations, and progress reports
- Attend speaking events and presentations when requested
- Mentor Development Officers in managing their portfolio, building donor relationships, and working with key major gift stakeholders
- Support the Manager of Development in developing goals, targets, and initiatives during business planning and budgeting processes
- Implement an effective Legacy Giving program in collaboration with the Manager of Development
- Educate and bring awareness to the issues of poverty and homelessness, and the work Bissell Centre does in the community.
- Other duties as required
General and Administrative
- As part of the Resource Development (RD) Team, the Development Officer will share the responsibility of guiding agency tours to students, the public, media, and donors
- Work with the RD Team to develop and implement comprehensive strategies to engage the public and collaborate on organizational initiatives to generate resources for Bissell Centre
- Participate in Bissell Centre events and act as an ambassador of our mission and vision
- Maintain detailed records on donor interactions through the donor management software according to Bissell Centre’s standards and in compliance to best practices for donor relations
- Remain current on all legislation and ethical practices pertaining to fundraising
- As part of the Bissell community, participate in cross organization initiatives including safety walks, events, committees, etc.
- Participate in regular supervision meetings and team meetings
WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years fund development experience, 2 of which must be in Major Giving
- Post-secondary degree in a related field, or equivalent experience
- Fundraising certifications (CFRE) will be considered an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passionate about building authentic, reciprocal relationships
- Proven skills in developing and implementing fund development plans and proposals
- Exceptional skills with computer software, specifically donor databases, is required
- Sound knowledge of principles, proven methods, and strategies of fundraising, donor relations, and communications
- Confident, enthusiastic attitude towards ability to achieve goals
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with people at an individual level and in large groups
- Ability to manage process, deadlines, and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of the organization
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness, and Edmonton’s urban core
CONDITIONS OF WORK
- Full-time position—40 hours/week, willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends on occasion
- Head office is in downtown Edmonton. Note: position works from home currently and may continue to work remotely on a part time basis post pandemic restrictions
- Operation of personal vehicle with required insurance, daytime travel required within the greater Edmonton area
- Working within an office space with participants who are experiencing complex life situations
Resource Development (RD) is a highly collaborative team that works with all programs and many external stakeholders. An RD team member must demonstrate competence in all the following areas:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour is consistent with these standards and aligns with the mission and core values of Bissell Centre.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Participant Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of participants and the community to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Foster, sustain and role model productive team management practices, and contribute to a positive team environment. Share expertise and knowledge to support, coach, and develop others.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create, and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Manager of Development
- Criminal Record Check
- CWIS Check
- Conflict Into Calm Training
The above-noted training must be completed during the first six months of employment.
Job Type: permanent, full-time
Application Deadline: July 18, 2022
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Manager Name: Leigh Born
Manager Position: Manager of Development
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell continues to take action to protect persons served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.