HR Coordinator- Health, Safety and Wellness
Full Time • People & Culture
WHO WE ARE
Are you an HR Professional looking to make an impact in your community? Do you have endless optimism, ready to move and change and create HR processes and procedures? Through the vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our community comes from all walks of life and so do we.
Through our programs we work to empower people from meeting their own basic daily needs to having sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, and feeling hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life. By joining Bissell Centre, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to realize our vision.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for an individual wanting to join an HR team and help to the next level. Are you ready to be our HR Coordinator- Health, Safety and Wellness and make an impact in our community?
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Human Resources Coordinator- Health, Safety and Wellness will be responsible for a wide variety of Human Resource Operations which include supporting both the Human Resources and Payroll team. This role demands a high level of confidentiality and professionalism when interacting with employees, management and the public.
If you are a HR professional with 2-4 years’ experience, HR degree, other related education or equivalent experience and are passionate about making a difference this is the role for you.
Role: Permanent Fulltime
WHAT IS THE ROLE
Duties and Responsibilities
Human Resources Strategy and Planning
- Regularly scan and assess human resource issues, trends, gaps, and opportunities in the areas of HR, Health and Safety and Employee Wellness. Keep Director, People & Culture abreast of HR issues, trends, gaps, and opportunities that could impact the organization’s operation. Solution focused in addressing issues and gaps or to realize opportunities.
- Establish and implement HR strategic and operational plan that supports the achievement of Bissell Centre’s broader strategic and operational goals, with focus on Health and Safety and Employee Wellness.
- Work with Director People & Culture and Management Teams to create and maintain an inclusive work environment that demonstrates accountability for cultural competence and diversity.
- Advise and train supervisors and staff on leave of absence process. Liaise with employees, managers, insurance company regarding gradual return to work and accommodation process.
- Maintenance and administration of organizational WCB programs, including return to work processes.
Health, Safety and Wellness
- Active member of the Bissell Health and Safety Committee. Administer the organizational Health and Safety program and serve as the organization’s WCB and OH&S administration contact/liaison.
- Lead the coordination and facilitation of employee wellness and recognition programs.
- Conduct exit interviews and perform analysis to identify opportunities to enhance retention.
- Review and provide recommendations to improve overall employee wellness.
Policy and Procedure Administration and Employee Relations Management
- Develop and ensure adherence to Human Resources polices and processes that are both compliant with relevant employment legislations as well as supportive of the organization’s strategic, operational and human resources management goals.
- Guide management and employee actions by interpreting, advising, and assisting them in the application of the agency’s human resources policies and procedures.
- Guide and support managers in employee relations matters (human rights, performance management, discipline, termination, employment standards and legislations, work injury case management, classification and compensation, etc.) and in the preparation of relevant documentations.
Employee Development and Performance Management Assistance
- Work with program Directors and Managers in the establishment or enhancement of relevant and effective employee training and development programs.
- Maintain up-to-date performance appraisal requirements and work with managers to ensure that they are completed in timely manner.
- Provide guidance and assistance to managers, as requested, in the completion of performance evaluations and in the handling of performance consults.
Additional Human Resources Duties
- Assist in maintaining up-to-date job descriptions and skills inventory.
- As needed assist managers in various aspects of recruitment and selection including participating in interviews and candidate assessments and planning post-interview consults.
- As needed review and approve job offer.
- Organize and conduct HR orientation for new employees.
- In Absence of Training, Coordinator ensure new employees undergo the orientation program (including Orientation, Naloxone training and Conflict to Calm). As well as follow up for employees that do not attend.
- Other duties and projects as assigned by the Director People & Culture.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
Formal Education and Experience
- Degree in Human Resources Management or other related field and a minimum of 3 years experience in a human resources role. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- A CHRP designation or strong evidence of working towards gaining it considered an asset.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Legislative Knowledge: Sound working knowledge of Alberta Employment Standards, Human Rights Acts, relevant PIPA legislations, relevant common law as well as WCB and OH & S regulations.
- Software Usage Proficiency: Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office capability. Knowledge of HRIS and computerized payroll systems is a definite asset.
- Sector Knowledge an Asset: Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core and knowledge of relevant community and government resources.
- Professionalism: Ability to portray a superior level of professionalism and adhere to a strict policy of confidentiality.
- Entrepreneurial and Self-motivated: Capable of demonstrating independence and entrepreneurialism.
- Communication Skills: An excellent communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
- Service and Results Oriented: Is focused on developing and delivering high quality, effective programs and services to staff.
- Analytical and Decision-Making Skills: Strong conceptual and analytical skills, with the ability to recognize as well as assess emerging issues and situations objectively, think creatively outside the box, and make sound decisions; is decisive and accountable.
- Organizational and Project Management Skills: Has strong organization and process skills; meets deadlines; is able to prioritize a diverse workload and manage multiple projects at once; has keen attention to detail, accuracy and quality.
- Leadership and Management Skills: Has strong leadership and management skills; clear ability to think, plan, and act strategically; is a team leader and a team player; leads by example; able to empower employees to achieve their best.
- Interpersonal and Relationship Building Skills: Approachable, with the ability to build trust and respect, cultivate strong positive relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Change Management Skills: Personal capacity to adapt to change, lead competently through change, and make strategic adjustments to address changing needs.
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, community-based organizations and the services they provide
Conditions of Work
- Flexibility of the working day is inherent in the position. The workload fluctuates. Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends is required.
- Participation in organizational wide Community Safety Walks in the area of Bissell East and West, daily interactions with participants and community members served.
- Criminal Record Check
- CWIS Check
- Conflict into Calm Training
- Employment Standards Training
- Alberta Human Rights training
- Working towards or maintenance of CPHR Designation
The above-noted training must be completed during the first six months of employment or as agreed upon by the supervisor.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Application Deadline: September 23, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell Centre continues to take action to protect person served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell Centre’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.