Early Childhood Educator
Full Time • Early Childhood Services
WHO WE ARE
Are you an Early Childhood Educator Professional looking to make an impact in your community? Do you have endless optimism, ready to move and create change in the community? Through the vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our community comes from all walks of life and so do we.
Through our programs we work to empower people from meeting their own basic daily needs to having sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, and feeling hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life. By joining Bissell Centre, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to realize our vision.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for an individual wanting to join the Early Childhood Services team. Are you ready to be our Early Childhood Educator and make an impact in our community?
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Early Childhood Educator is responsible for creating and developing an environment that meets the individual social, physical, cognitive and emotional needs of children aged infant to six years.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all play and learning activities are conducted in a safe and healthy atmosphere
- Implement the Alberta curriculum framework(flight) in day-to-day programming
- Develop activities that consider each child’s individual interests and developmental levels
- Conducting ASQ assessments for children as identified on a regular basis.
- Develop activities that enhance self-esteem and encourage children’s independence, social interaction, and creativity
- Establish rapport and trust with children and parents/caregivers by building and developing relationships
- Adapt or modify activities to enable children with special needs to participate
- Flexibility to work in all rooms within the program
- Support caregivers with any parenting concerns that they may have and share information about child development, pertaining to the child’s ASQ results
- Develop monthly program plans and daily and weekly activity charts
- Perform housekeeping tasks not limited to; laundry duties, kitchen duties, etc.
- Flexible working hours (rotating shifts every month)
- Refer participants to internal and external resources when appropriate or to the General and Administrative
- Provide latest program information and updated statistics as required
- Participate in probationary and annual performance reviews
- Attend scheduled staff and supervision meetings
- Perform other duties as required by the Bissell Centre Organization
Education and Experience
- Level 1,2 or 3 certification in childcare
- Minimum 6 months’ related working experience
- Familiarity working with children affected by behavioral and/or developmental delays
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong listening and verbal communication skills with children, parents/caregivers and ECD staff
- Good written and oral communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Good working knowledge of possible signs of abuse/neglect
- Good working knowledge of Daycare Licensing Standards, ASQ
- Good working knowledge of Bissell Centre Policies
- Excellent knowledge of community resources pertaining to children’s health and education needs
- Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core
- Must be able to lift and carry approximately 50 lbs.
The Early Childhood Educator should demonstrate competence in all of the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour is consistent with these standards and aligns with the mission and core values of Bissell Centre.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Participant Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of participants and the community to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Foster, sustain and role model productive team management practices, and contribute to a positive team environment. Share expertise and knowledge to support, coach and develop others.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Criminal Record Check
- CWIS Check
- Childcare First Aid with CPR
- Conflict Into Calm Training
The above-noted training must be completed during the first three months of employment or as agreed upon by the supervisor.
- Level 1: 16.76 per hour
- Level 2: 17.43 per hour
- Level 3: 20.22 per hour
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell Centre continues to take action to protect person served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell Centre’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.