Early Childhood Development Team Lead (Assistant Director)
Full Time • Early Childhood Development Centre
Bissell Centre works toward the elimination of poverty in our community. Guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals experiencing poverty or homelessness.
Bissell Centre is growing and in need of a passionate and skilled Assistant Director. Our current Early Childhood Development Centre (ECDC) is a fully licensed and accredited child care facility that accepts up to 37 children between 0-5 years old and is available to parents and guardians, with low income, at no cost on a respite basis.
Having been selected as an Early Learning Child Care Centre $25/day (ELCC), the individual in this position will be working with a multidisciplinary team to prepare for a move into a new and expanded program space that will accommodate up to 70 children, while implementing ELCC requirements.
- Assist the Manager, Early Childhood Development Centre (ECDC), to monitor and evaluate program quality and delivery on an on-going basis
- Work collaboratively with the Team Lead of Operations to plan, monitor and deliver high quality ECD programs and activities
- Communicate programming and staffing concerns to the manager, ECDC
- Develop and maintain a positive relationship with families, children, staff, volunteers, students and collaterals.
- Provide lunch/break coverage for the ECD educators, as required
- Be available to cover ratio needs, as required
- Assist Manager with attending meetings, as needed, of Child Care Association for Resources to Administrators (CAFRA), Association of Early Childhood Educators of Alberta (AECEA), Edmonton child care sector meetings, Alberta Home Visitation Network Association (AHVNA) and other membership organizations
- Assist Manager with accreditation renewal, Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) implementation and documentation, and enforce licensing requirements within the centre
- Organize site visits with Getting Ready for Inclusion Today (GRIT) and the Centre’s pedagogical leader
- Assist Manager, ECDC, to organize and plan parent engagement sessions
- Keeping parents informed on recent developments, being available for parents concerns and organize and assist Manager, ECDC, to implement parent engagement strategies
- Assist the Manager, ECDC in recruitment, hiring, orientation and training of ECD Educators to ensure they are performing assigned duties and responsibilities
- Provide day-to-day supervision to the ECD Educators, program, volunteers and students
- Provide supervision to Early Childhood Development Resource Worker (ECDRW)
- Schedule and participate in monthly supervision meetings of all staff, room and individual educators
- Complete probationary evaluations and annual performance reviews of the educators in collaboration with the Manager, ECDC
- Child Care Supervisor (Level 3) or Provincially recognized equivalent
- Minimum 1 years’ experience with demonstrated child care centre management and supervisory experience is an asset
- Valid Standard 1st Aid, Level C
- Knowledge of relevant licensing and accreditation
- Familiarity working with children with developmental delays and/or social, emotional, behavioural challenges
- Knowledge of Alberta’s Early Learning and Child Care Curriculum Framework, the Ages and Stages Questionnaire, and the Access, Support and Participation Continuum Project (ASaP)
- Clear and thorough understanding of Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, time management, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
- Understanding of Indigenous cultures, history and current issues
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Check
Bissell Centre offers above average industry benefits including; employer subsidized medical and dental benefits, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, outstanding vacation and more! This a full-time position, working 40 hours per week. Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate the needs of children and families is required.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.