Early Childhood Development Educator
Full Time • Early Childhood Development Centre
About Bissell Centre
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Bissell Centre is seeking the right individual to fill the position of a permanent Early Child Development Educator. Early Childhood Development Educators work with children ages 0-5 and are responsible for creating and developing an environment that meets the individual, social, physical, intellectual and emotional needs of children. We are an engaged team who believe in actively co-learning, co-researching and co-imagining possibilities alongside and in relationship with children, families, other educators, and professionals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Application of the Early Childhood Curriculum of Alberta
- Implementation of Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQs)
- Execute the “Learning Through Play” philosophy in day-to-day programming
- Ensure all play and learning activities are conducted in a safe and healthy atmosphere
- Develop activities that consider each child’s individual interests and developmental levels
- Develop activities that enhance self-esteem and encourage children’s independence, social interaction and creativity
- Establish rapport and trust with children and parents/caregivers
- Adapt or modify activities to enable children with special needs to participate
- Documentation panels, documentation of observations, program planning etc.
Education and Experience
- Child Development designation Level 3
- Minimum 1 year related working experience
- Familiarity working with children affected by behavioural and/or developmental delays
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong listening and verbal communication skills with children, parents/caregivers and ECD staff
- Good written and oral communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Good working knowledge of possible signs of abuse/neglect
- Good working knowledge of Daycare Licensing Standards and Accreditation
- Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core
- Must be able to lift and carry approximately 30 lbs (13.5 kg)
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Check
This is a permanent, full time position working 35 hours per week.
We offer an attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and working experience.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.