Director, Integrated Services and Advocacy
Full Time • Integrated Services and Advocacy
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals. For more information, please visit www.bissellcentre.org
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Director, Integrated Services and Advocacy. This position is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of several of Bissell Centre’s Programs and Services. The position, in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer, is responsible for program grants, outputs, outcomes, financials, evaluation and program development. The Director works collaboratively with other agency directors, program managers, agency staff and community organizations to develop and nurture linkages in order to facilitate the achievement of Bissell Centre’s mandates. This position provides oversight to a variety of programs including Community Development, Analysis & Evaluation and Hope Terrace.
Community Development includes oversite of the Community Space and all programming offered out of that location. Bissell Centre operates a Day Shelter in the Community Space downtown. These services include participant reception & mail, basic needs provision and community development programming.
Analysis & Evaluation is a key support department at Bissell Centre. This team supports all data collection, metrics development and evaluation. The goals of the department are to inform the organization in order to offer more effective services in accessible ways to participants.
Hope Terrace is a permanent supportive housing site offering long term housing to individuals diagnosed or suspected of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). The team at Hope Terrace offer a non-judgmental and Harm Reduction approach to daily living supports for residents.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Ensure adherence to agency’s mission, vision, philosophy, values and objectives
- Monitor implementation of program logic models/framework and the achievement of outputs and outcomes
- In collaboration with program managers, ensure implementation of Bissell Centre policies and development and/or revision of program procedures to align with policies
- In collaboration with COO and program managers, monitor compliance with legal, regulatory, contractual, standards of care and applicable accreditation requirements
- In collaboration with COO and program managers, ensure service user, stakeholder and community input
- Facilitate inter-program coordination and collaboration in service provision
- Work collaboratively with the program managers to ensure overall program and service operational efficiencies and best practices implementation
- Work collaboratively with the program managers and facilities staff to ensure proper maintenance and safety of all program areas
- Support the Analysis and Evaluation department with implementing organizational activities that span across departments throughout the organization such as Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and Bissell Centre’s Intake System Starting Point
- Identify, maintain and support ongoing or new partnerships that support the community space programming such as nursing, street outreach and cultural support
- Recruitment, hiring, orientation, training and day-to-day supervision of direct-report staff
- Assist program managers with recruitment, hiring, orientation, training and day-to-day supervision of their programs
- Facilitate regular program manager and/or staff meetings to inform, plan, direct and hear staff concerns
- Implement bi-weekly supervision meetings with all direct reports to ensure they meet their targeted goals, program delivery and submission of reports within the set timeframe and guideline
- In collaboration with Human Resources, provide guidance and support to program managers in areas of orientation, training, performance management and employee relations
- Approve and monitor staff timesheets, overtime, health maintenance and vacation leaves
- Complete and/or supervise probationary evaluations and annual performance reviews of all staff
- Develop an agenda for, and participate in, regularly scheduled supervision with the COO
- Mentor, Support and Guide program managers to enhance leadership skills
- In collaboration with the COO, program managers and accounting staff, implement and monitor annual program budgets
- In collaboration with program managers, implement strategies for increasing financial stability and sustainability of programs and services
- Monitor, approve and submit receipts for program expenditures
General and Administrative
- Ensure submission of all monthly, quarterly and annual program reports inclusive of outputs, outcomes, program highlights, stories and quality improvement initiatives
- Ensure documentation and follow-up (reporting, debriefs, training, etc.) is completed for all Critical Incidents
- Act as integral member of the Leadership Team
- Attend Management Team meetings to address organizational issues and collaborate on organizational initiatives
- Perform other duties as required
Conditions of Work
- On call rotation
- Shift work of some evening and weekends may be required
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, knowledge and skills:
Education and Experience
- Post-Secondary Degree in a related field
- Minimum of five years experience in a similar position in program planning, development, case management and evaluation and supervisory skills
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled in collaboration
- Strong interpersonal, time management, organizational, supervisory and problem-solving skills
- Ability to develop and manage annual budgets
- Attention to detail, accuracy and quality
- Demonstrated ability in computer literacy
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
- Understanding of Aboriginal cultures, history and current issues
- Knowledgeable about community/social issues and community resources
Additional Screening Requirements
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Check
- Drivers Abstract
- First Aid Certificate
We offer an attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and working experience. This is a permanent, full time position working 40 hours per week.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell continues to take action to protect persons served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.