Full Time • Resource Development
WHO WE ARE
Are you a Development Officer looking to make an impact in your community? Are you eager to inspire generosity?
Steered by our vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our community comes from all walks of life and so do we.
Bissell programs help empower people so that they can meet their own basic daily needs, have sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, and feel hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life. By joining Bissell Centre, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to realize our vision.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for an optimistic person, who will engage our community and create opportunities that will sustain and build on the work we do.
ABOUT THE ROLE
With direction from the Manager of Community Engagement, the Development Officer implements all aspects of Bissell Centre’s annual giving activities including: direct mail campaigns, monthly giving, mid-level giving, and workplace giving.
This position is guided by Bissell’s vision of the elimination of poverty in the community, its values and key practice philosophies, and is accountable and responsible for specific projects as assigned.
The position also contributes to an ethical, safe, and inclusive environment through knowledge and practice of the organization’s policies and procedures.
WHAT IS THE ROLE
Duties and Responsibilities
Annual Giving Campaign Implementation– 50%
- Coordinate the Direct Response Program alongside our external partner through project management, content generation, editing, segmentation, and reporting
- Support all Annual Giving activities including Direct Response, Tributes, Workplace Giving, Monthly Giving through project management, design, content generation, editing, segmentation, and reporting
- Implement strategies to acquire, solicit, cultivate, and steward donors to increase the number of annual gifts received by the organization
- Craft and generate timely acknowledgement of annual gifts
- Ensure compliance with FIPPA, CRA and other legislation
Annual Giving Stewardship – 20%
- Implement strategies, timelines, and communications for recognition of donors to increase retention
Annual Giving Analysis – 10%
- Monitor campaign progress and help identify concerns or anomalies
- Report on revenue, retention, acquisition, re-engagement, expenses, and return on investment on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis as needed
- Help identify mid-level and monthly donors within the annual giving stream
Professional Development – 2.5%
- The incumbent must work to stay current in annual fundraising trends and technologies–especially within Canada–through continuous study, attending workshops, reading relevant materials, participating in web seminars, and consulting with experts in the field.
- Gain a tangible understanding of how changes to the economic climate affect fund development
- Understand and confidently speak about Bissell Centre, its history, fundraising practices, programs, and objectives
- Learn stewardship trends, matching programs, and other ways and means of giving
Resource Development Team – 2.5%
- Represent Bissell Centre at internal and external events as required
- Give agency tours and public presentations as needed
- Help to steward and cultivate volunteers
- Support third party events as needed
Database Administration – 5%
- Maintain relevant donor information in Bissell Centre’s Raiser’s Edge system.
- Support the Database Coordinator with data entry as needed
- Support the Database Coordinator with reconciliation
General and Administrative – 5%
- Participate in team meetings, lead campaign kick-off meetings, and regular supervisions
- Help foster a culture of philanthropy at Bissell Centre
- Participate in safety walks around Bissell Centre’s downtown buildings
Other duties – 5%
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Marketing, Communications, Fund Development or related field. Equivalent experience will be considered
- Experience in fund development or direct response is required
- Knowledge of and experience with donor data systems, such as Raiser’s Edge, is preferred
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office
- Membership with Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Sound knowledge of principles, proven methods, strategies of fundraising, donor relations and communications is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment
- Presents with a professional and respectful demeanor when working with donors, staff, and volunteers from a diversity of backgrounds
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills
- Research, analysis, writing, and presentation skills is preferred
- Adapts to new processes and shifting priorities in a nimble and growing organization
- Confident, enthusiastic attitude towards ability to achieve goals
- Criminal Record Check
- CWIS Check
Conditions of Work
The incumbent will work both remotely and from Bissell Centre’s East building where there are people experiencing complex life situations
Expectation of Duties
- The duties assigned may be specified in only very general terms and normally form part of the overall broad departmental long-term planning
- The duties of the position are diverse and varied and require the ability to manage multiple priorities, stakeholders, and tasks with shifting expectations from donors, senior management and colleagues with grace, good humour and tact.
- Problems are solved by modification of established methods or by devising new courses of action with the overall intent of established projects of significant nature
- Balancing the micro and the macro of annual giving requires a high degree of insight
- The incumbent will work independently and with support from their supervisor. Their efforts will be responsible for the success of vital fundraising initiatives.
- There is, and will continue to be, a great deal of pressure to raise annual funds in support of organization-wide priorities to offset operational costs and to increase giving.
- In a competitive environment with 80,000 registered charities, the incumbent must use their own skills and best judgement to procure an ever-greater share of this funding for Bissell Centre.
- There is a great deal of urgency to produce, implement and modify strategies in the most effective manner, within a tightly constrained budget.
- Errors or oversight can cause loss of goodwill and loss of income, or inability to reach our potential in terms of fundraising and friend-raising. Accomplished effectively, Annual Giving programs build interest and support and maximize our revenue, which brings in 50% of funds raised for Bissell Centre annually.
- A standard work week is usually required (Monday – Friday)
- Some flexibility in work hours
- Evening and weekend work is required on occasion
- Ability to work in a shared office environment
- Conflict into Calm Training
- Employment Standards Training
The above-noted training must be completed during the first six months of employment or as agreed upon by the supervisor.