Development Officer, Annual Giving
Full Time • Resource Development
The key purpose of the Development Officer, Annual Giving is to lead the organization’s annual giving initiatives including our direct response program, monthly giving program and stewardship efforts. This role works to encourage donors to increase their annual gifts by ensuring supporters feel valued and appreciated, and that their gifts are making an impact on the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Steward, cultivate, acquire one-time and recurring donors through Annual Giving strategies
- Set goals and track progress toward annual fundraising efforts
- Report on revenue, retention, acquisition, re-engagement, expenses, and return on investment on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis as needed.
- Work with the Manager of Community Engagement on growth strategies
Direct Response Fundraising
- Implement the Direct Response Program, including project management, content generation, and editing
- Coordinate the relationship with our external Direct Response partner
- Attend meetings to ensure deadlines are met and are aligned with goals
Resource Development Team
- Represent Bissell Centre at internal and external events as required
- Support the Community Engagement team by giving agency tours and public presentations as needed
- Support the Community Engagement Coordinator by stewarding and cultivating volunteers
- Support the Database Coordinator with data entry as needed
- Help ensure data integrity by assisting in data maintenance and reconciliation processes
General and Administrative
- Remain current on all legislation and ethical practices pertaining to fundraising
- Participate in regular supervision meetings
- Help foster a culture of philanthropy at Bissell Centre
- Participate in safety walks around Bissell Centre’s downtown buildings
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Marketing, Communications, Fund Development or related field. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in the non-profit sector an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Sound knowledge of principles, proven methods, strategies of fundraising, donor relations and communications
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Superior project management skills
- Demonstrated ability in computer literacy with Microsoft Office and database systems. Experience with Raiser’s Edge and Project Management software is an asset
- Ability to produce high-quality results in a collaborative work environment
- Strong interpersonal, time management, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Adapts to new processes and shifting priorities in a nimble and growing organization
- Confident, enthusiastic attitude towards ability to achieve goals
Conditions of Work
- Full-time position—40 hrs/wk
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. Workload fluctuates by campaign
- Some daytime travel may be required
- Head office is in downtown Edmonton. Note: position currently works from home and may continue to work remotely on a part- or full-time basis depending on Covid-19 restrictions
- Work happens in a location where there are people experiencing complex life situations
Salary Range and Benefits
- Annual salary in the range of $50,000 – $60,000 with a comprehensive benefits package and three weeks of annual vacation
The Development Officer, Annual Giving should demonstrate competence in all of the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the mission and core values of Bissell Centre.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Participant Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of participants and the community to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Foster, sustain and role model productive team management practices, and contribute to a positive team environment. Share expertise and knowledge to support, coach and develop others.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Welfare Intervention Check
- Valid Driver’s License and Insurance
- As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell continues to take action to protect persons served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
The above below training must be completed during the first six months of employment or as agreed upon with the supervisor.
- Conflict Into Calm Training
- Naloxone Administration Training
Application Deadline: January 27th, 2022
Job type: Permanent, Full-time
Interested candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume to:
Manager of Community Engagement
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.