Community Support Worker (Full-Time Contract & Relief Positions Available)
Full Time • Community Support
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Community Support Worker. This position focuses on ensuring a welcoming and safe environment for all participants, as well as, to provide systems navigation and support to secure affordable and appropriate housing for participants. Other services and supports that will be available include: meals, laundry, showers, cultural supports, and recreation and other life skill programming. The Community Support Worker practices from a person-centered and harm reduction perspective.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Ensure a welcoming and inclusive environment for all people accessing the space. Assist participants to access services available, which include: meals, laundry, showers, harm reduction supplies and other basic need services.
- Use de-escalation skills and provide crisis intervention as required.
- Support participants to achieve their housing goals.
- Utilize a client centered practice to determine housing barriers, preferences, needs and goals with participants, this includes supporting participants to: secure a bank account, source of income, identification, and address physical and mental health concerns.
- Maintain the Space, which includes: general cleanliness, stocking supplies, organizing storage areas, doing the laundry and reporting required repairs.
- Assist with other program activities and events as required, e.g. community closet, food service, reception and other special events.
- Ensuring daily maintenance of space specific logbooks, records and stats sheets.
- Attend meetings and trainings as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Human Services or a combination of other relevant education and experience.
- Minimum 1-year relevant employment experience.
- Knowledge of Aboriginal Cultural Resources, Ceremonies and Protocols is an asset.
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness, harm reduction philosophy and substance misuse is an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, good time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Current First Aid, Criminal Record and Child Welfare checks are required prior to starting employment.
Available positions include full-time work (37.5-40 hours/week) and casual shifts from October 30, 2020 until at least March 31, 2021. Shifts are between the hours of 6:30am to 10pm, seven days a week. Pay starts at $20/hour with evening and weekend shift differentials.
Position will be posted until a suitable candidate is found. Please indicate in your cover letter what days and hours you are available to work. Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to:
10527 – 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
E-mail: sgoodrick at bissellcentre.org
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Contract length: 5 months
Expected start date: 2020-11-01
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Casual
Salary: $20.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Support Care: 1 year (Required)
- criminal back ground check (Required)
- First Aid Certification (Required)