Community Support Worker (Casual)
Relief • Community Development
Through our vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our mission is to work with others to empower people to move from poverty to prosperity. We enable people to meet their own basic daily needs, participate in community, have sustainable livelihoods, feel hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Community Support Worker. This position will be part of our inter-agency work to support our community at the EXPO Centre. This new space is a safe space for individuals to access essential supports and services. The Community Support Worker practices from a person-centered and harm reduction perspective. This position focuses on ensuring a welcoming and safe environment for all participants accessing the EXPO Centre.
As this is a casual position, please be aware that last minute shift changes may arise. The wage for this position is $19. The hours of the Expo Centre is currently from 8am to 8pm. The hours may change to 24/7 so flexibility of working hours is a requirement for this position.
This position will occasionally be exposed to physical and/or verbal abuse. The services provided in this role at the EXPO center will be provided using safe social distancing and to individuals who are screened by a nurse to not have respiratory symptoms or a fever.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Ensure a welcoming and safe environment for all participants accessing the space
- Assist participants to access services available, which include: coffee, laundry, showers, lunches, other basic need services
- Use de-escalation skills and provide crisis intervention as required
- Encourage and support participants to achieve their goals through accessing other external or internal resources and services
- Engage participants in intentional and purposeful conversations, this may include providing individual support or advocacy to participants
- Assist with maintaining the Community Space, including: general cleanliness, stocking supplies, organizing storage areas, doing the laundry and reporting required repairs
- Assist with the orientation, ongoing training and support of new staff
- Assist with other program activities and events as required, e.g. intake shifts, reception and other special events
- Ensuring daily maintenance of Community Space Specific logbooks, records and stats sheets
- Attend meetings and trainings as required
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Human Services or equivalent
- Minimum 1 year relevant employment experience
- Knowledge of Aboriginal Cultural Resources, Ceremonies and Protocols is an asset
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, good time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Available for shifts overnight and in evenings. The space will be potentially operating as a 24/7 facility, availability to work shift work is a requirement
- Proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Criminal Record and Child Welfare checks are required
Looking for focuses in these roles such as:
- Available to work shift work, overnights, evenings and weekends
- Mental health support workers
- Harm reduction specialists
- Cultural programming
Position will be posted until a suitable candidate is found. Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter.