Community Bridge Support Worker (Perm, FT)
Full Time • Housing Services
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals experiencing poverty or homelessness.
This position reports to the Finance & Project Coordinator.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the permanent, full-time position of Community Bridge Support Worker. The Community Bridge is a rapid response intervention program to stop an imminent eviction and provide interventions and services to ensure that causes of the eviction are effectively addressed to ward of reoccurrence. The Community Bridge Support Worker practice a client centered, and strength-based approach to help ensure our participants who are facing eviction remain housed.
This position will occasionally be exposed to physical and/or verbal abuse.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide one-on-one support to participants and assess their situation and income/expenses
- Identify areas where participants would benefit from additional support
- Encourage and support participants access internal and external services and resources
- Maintain a current and accurate participant file for each participant
- Provide follow up support
- Attend meetings and trainings as required
- Organize and facilitate workshops on eviction prevention topics
- Use de-escalation skills and provide crisis intervention as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
Education and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Social Science or related discipline
- Minimum of 1 year related employment experience
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
- Familiarity working with high risk populations and an understanding of Aboriginal cultures, history and current issues
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency of Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- Possess knowledge of resources within Edmonton
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, good time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Alberta Class 5 License (non-GDL), satisfactory driver’s abstract and a vehicle
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Check
Bissell Centre offers above average industry benefits including; employer subsidized medical and dental benefits, life insurance, disability, outstanding vacation and more!
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by January 23rd, 2020