Casual Sales Associate
Relief • Thrift Shop
The role of the Sales Associate is to assist the Store Manager and team members by ensuring exceptional customer service that is timely and accurate. This position requires the ability to multitask; daily tasks include working cash, stocking store merchandise, maintaining store cleanliness, processing donations and supporting donors. The successful candidate will report to the Thrift Store Alberta Ave location
This role works closely with individuals who are experiencing complex life situations. Due to this, staff at the Thrift Shop occasionally experience physical and/or verbal abuse from and between individuals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver exceptional customer service
- Ensuring that each customer receives outstanding service by providing a friendly environment, which includes greeting, acknowledging, and re-approaching every customer, maintaining solid product knowledge and all other aspects of customer service
- Collect and process payment from customer in POS system
- Ensure store is visually appealing through product presentation, replenishment, store housekeeping and visual displays
- Contribute to the cleanliness of the store and all common space within and outside of the building.
- Assist customers and donors in loading and unloading heavy bags, appliances, and furniture into and out of their vehicles
Sorting & Donation Processing
- Greet all donors and receive goods in a timely and professional manner
- Sort donations into appropriate categories and ensure that items are clean and not damaged, discard unsaleable items for salvage
- Sort clothing and other items for Community Closets
- Maintain the work area for efficient and effective sorting
General and Administrative
- Empathetic towards, and ability to communicate and support individuals facing mental health, addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty, and related challenges
- This position requires varied mental and emotional effort, must be able to respond quickly to individuals in crisis and deescalate intense situations. This includes working directly to prevent issues from arising and as needed, providing conflict resolution.
- Participate in probationary and annual performance reviews
- Attend scheduled staff and supervision meetings
- Report any incidents/accidents, ensuring that confidential information is reported to the supervisor on shift or manager
- Adhere to all Bissell Centre policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as required
- Completion of High School or equivalent
- Previous customer service experience and/or cash handling experience is an asset
- Must be able to work alone
- Excellent interpersonal skills, results oriented, attention to detail, strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to spend frequent periods standing with a constant opportunity to move about. It is a frequent requirement to stoop, pull, push or lift material, stoop or lift material, fixtures or equipment and climb a ladder. Sales Associates must regularly lift and/or move up to 23 kg (50 lbs.) and occasionally lift and/or move up to 36 kg (80 lbs.) using appropriate equipment.
- Criminal Record and Child Intervention Check will be required prior to hire
- Able to work in a warehouse environment, with varying temperatures and frequent exposure to dust, pet hair, smoke and other potential allergens.
- This role works closely with individuals who are experiencing complex life situations. Due to this, the Sales Associate will occasionally experience physical and/or verbal abuse from and between individuals.
The Sales Associate should demonstrate competence in all the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the mission and core values of Bissell Centre.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Participant Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of participants and the community to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Foster, sustain and role model productive team management practices, and contribute to a positive team environment. Share expertise and knowledge to support, coach and develop others.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Record Check
- Proof of Full Covid Vaccination
- Conflict into Calm Training
The above-noted training must be completed during the first six months of employment.
Job type: Casual, Permanent
Application Deadline: December 15, 2021
Interested candidates are to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Manager, Thrift Shop
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.