Associate Store Manager
Full Time • Thrift Store
Through the vision to eliminate poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our mission is to work with others to empower people to move from poverty to cultural, social, and economic prosperity. We empower people to meet their own basic daily needs, participate in community and have sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, feel hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life. By joining Bissell Centre, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to realize our vision.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Associate Store Manager plays a key leadership role within their respective Thrift Store retail operation. The Associate Store Manager will focus on key areas of the business including but not limited to back of house, sales floor, cash and process, donor relations and employee engagement. This position has additional administrative functions such as the recruitment, supervision and evaluation of staff and providing strategic leadership needed to meet Bissell Centre’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
Reporting to the Store Manager, the expectation of this position is to support the expansion, development and growth of Thrift Store, Community Closet and E-Commerce programs while directly impacting the movement towards further financial sustainability. This position requires someone who can effectively communicate and foster strong and lasting relationships with our stakeholders while driving and engaging in the development of action plans and seeing them through. In the absence of the Store Manager this position will oversee and coordinate all operational and administrative functions of the store.
Job type: Permanent, Full-time
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
- Model the values of Bissell Centre and communicate these principles in a clear and compelling fashion both internally and externally. Translate agency values into Thrift Store culture and everyday activities to foster a welcoming and engaging working environment.
- Mission focused and driven to provide services and access to clothing necessities for our community participants.
- In partnership with the Store Manager, collaborate with donors, external partners and neighboring businesses, committees and associations and assist with local events to ensure successful execution.
- In partnership with the Store Manager, brainstorm, design and execute well thought out retail strategies to improve the functionality of retail operations and enhance overall employee engagement and customer experience.
Store Operations and Customer Service
- Create a positive working environment that fosters open and continuous communication and information sharing among all staff and volunteers.
- Identify business opportunities through communication with stakeholders and partner with the Store Manager on a strategic direction to create and implement ideas.
- Build and expand the customer base by constantly acquiring new customers in conjunction with developing and retaining the existing customer base.
- Implement strong and competitive pricing strategies and promotions along with internal store policies to develop operational processes.
- Oversee category merchandising, floor planning and visual presentation throughout the store. Display products in a meaningful way that tell a story and enhance atmosphere for customers.
- Demonstrate strong conflict resolution skills, such as de-escalating customer complaints and providing solutions to maintain relationships. This includes follow up with customers and staff to ensure needs and/or concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
- Support the Store Manager in Thrift Store, Community Closet and E-Commerce operations.
- Communicate information in a timely and effective matter pertaining to all aspects of operational activity to ensure the Store Manager is well informed of developments within the store. This includes activity that would directly impact agency brand and reputation.
- Show empathy and the ability to communicate with and support individuals facing mental health, addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty, and related challenges. Able to respond appropriately to intense situations, provide conflict resolution and work directly with individuals with barriers.
- Manage customer flow at the front of house, fitting rooms and maintain required staffing levels in all service areas of the store. Ensure a high standard of customer service is always provided.
- Coordinate projects and activities in the back of house and facilitate the processing, allocation, and distribution of program materials and donations.
- Prioritize 90% of time involved in selling, coaching, team development, and operational support while using the remaining 10% of time to complete administrative tasks.
- Provide coaching and guidance to staff in selling techniques, understanding KPIs, verbalizing promotions and offers, and building confidence in individual sales and service efforts.
- Partner with the Store Manager in succession planning for staff, collaborative leadership and employee retention and engagement.
- Provide leadership to staff and volunteers on delivering exceptional customer service to community participants, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Partner with the Store Manager in staff probationary and annual reviews with regular performance check-ins to assess progress on succession planning and performance improvement plans.
- Hire and onboard qualified candidates, recommend or initiate promotions, transfers and/or disciplinary action.
- Ability to meet or exceed revenue targets as set out by the agency.
- Execute and drive traffic for promotions and campaign launches to deliver on revenue targets.
- To maintain expenditures within the operating budget under the guidance of the Store Manager and Director, Social Enterprise.
- Oversee balance and completion of the appropriate cash reconciliation paperwork and reporting to the finance department in a timely manner.
- Review, monitor and be proactive with financial scorecards, KPIs, POS and P&L reporting metrics.
- Purchasing and upkeep of office supplies and other program materials from vendor partners.
General and Administrative
- Implement agency policies and procedures, including reporting of staff concerns, safety issues and critical incidents.
- Partner with the Store Manager to organize and complete annual evaluations for employees.
- Oversee attendance of staff for day-to-day operations of the store, trainings, and meetings.
- Provide financial and operational reporting as required by the agency.
- Build weekly schedules to the needs of operational activity and within set labor budgets.
- Collaborate on job descriptions, annual planning calendars, operating policies and procedures as required.
- Attend scheduled staff and management meetings, training sessions and performance check-ins.
- Hold routine morning team rallies with store staff prior to operating business hours.
- Adhere to all Health and Safety and Loss Prevention policies and procedures to ensure the safety and security of staff, customers, and community participants.
- Engage in monthly health and safety site inspections and hazard assessments.
- Perform other duties as required that may not be listed in the formal job description or as assigned by the Store Manager.
Formal Education and Experience
- Undergraduate Diploma or Degree in Retail and Business Management or another relevant field (preferred but not required). An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- Relevant work experience including a minimum of 2+ years in a retail supervisory or management position.
- Proven track record in establishing and/or advancing as well as managing business or social enterprise ventures.
- Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with the non-profit industry and/or retail non-profit operations is considered an asset.
- Personal commitment to Bissell Centre’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values.
- Ability to apply Bissell Centre’s Strategic Framework into day-to-day work.
- Commitment to maintaining integrity and confidentiality related to Bissell Centre.
- This position works closely with community participants who are experiencing complex life situations. As such, this position requires a calm and empathetic demeanor with the ability to de-escalate conflict and intense situations with clear and effective communication methods.
- Ability to spend frequent periods of time standing and frequent periods of time moving, bending, and lifting. It is a frequent requirement to stoop or lift material, fixtures or equipment, and climb ladders. Employees must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
- Ability to work in a warehouse environment with varying temperatures and frequent exposure to dust, pet hair, smoke, and other potential allergens.
- Flexibility of the working week is inherent in this position as the workload fluctuates. Flexibility to work a combination of weekdays and weekends is required.
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Record Check
- Class 5 License, 3 Year Driver’s Abstract, Proof of Vehicle Liability Insurance and Registration
(applicable only if operating agency vehicles)
- Conflict into Calm Training
- Naloxone Kit Training
- WHMIS Training
- Standard First Aid & CPR/AED Training
The above listed training requirements must be completed within the first six months of employment. Other training requirements may be identified during employment and must be completed as directed.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Jagrity Jain Talwar
Manager, Thrift Shop
Application deadline: June 24th, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell Centre continues to take action to protect person served and staff. Strategies related to Bissell Centre’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.