Assertive Housing Worker
Full Time • Housing Services
About Bissell Centre
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Bissell Centre is looking for a qualified Assertive Housing Worker, who will report to the Team Lead of the Outreach Housing Team. This team seeks out individuals who are homeless and works with them to secure and sustain housing that is both affordable and meets their needs and aspirations.
Please be aware that this position will occasionally be exposed to physical and/or verbal abuse.
- In collaboration with centralized intake, the Drop in, and partner organizations, locate, identify, and engage participants looking for housing. Including assertive outreach in the river valley and on public land.
- Conduct goal-oriented workshops in locations around Edmonton
- Accompany Housing First Participants to viewings of privately and socially owned housing
- Identify and provide participants with informed choices in their housing search.
- Assist participants with move-ins using the least intrusive alternative.
- Facilitate a smooth transition to the Follow Up worker.
- Provide crisis intervention and safety planning.
- Maintain strong relationships with partner organizations and Landlords.
- Transport participants in personal vehicle
- Working closely with participants who are experiencing complex life situations
- Hours of work will vary based on the need of the community
- Degree or Diploma in Social Science or related discipline
- Minimum of one year related employment experience
- If applicable, all Social Workers employed at Bissell need to be registered with the ACSW within 3 months of hire date
- Familiarity working with high risk populations and an understanding of Aboriginal cultures, history and current issues
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Check
- Alberta Class 5 License (non-GDL), satisfactory driver’s abstract and a vehicle
We offer an attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and working experience.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.