Assertive Housing Worker (ASW)
Full Time • Housing Services
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals. For more information, please visit www.bissellcentre.org
This team will seek out homeless individuals and work with them to secure and sustain housing that is both affordable and meets their needs and aspirations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- In collaboration with centralized intake, internal programs, and partner organizations, locate, identify, and engage participants looking for housing. Including assertive outreach in the river valley and on other public land.
- Identify and provide participants with informed choices in their housing search.
- Assist participants with move-ins using the least intrusive alternative.
- Facilitate a smooth transition to the Follow Up worker.
- Provide crisis intervention and safety planning.
- Maintain strong relationships with partner organizations and Landlords.
- Hours of work will vary based on the need of the community.
Education and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Social Science or related discipline
- Minimum of one year related employment experience
- If applicable, all Social Workers employed at Bissell need to be registered with the ACSW within 3 months of hire date.
- Familiarity working with high risk populations and an understanding of Aboriginal cultures, history and current issues
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
- Alberta Class 5 License (non-GDL),
- satisfactory driver’s abstract and a vehicle
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Intervention Check
- As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, Bissell Centre continues to take action to protect persons served and Strategies related to Bissell Centre’s response to COVID-19 are driven by the guiding principle of taking all reasonable precautions and measures to protect the health and safety of both persons served and staff. In keeping with this intentional purpose, COVID-19 full vaccination is a condition of employment for new hires, except due to legitimate, established exceptions.
Job Type: Permanent, Full-time (40 hrs/week)
Application Deadline: October 17th, 2021
Number of Vacancies: 2
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Team Lead, Housing Services
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.