Bissell Centre’s work is based on building positive relationships with community members, staff and volunteers, as well as individuals in the community committed to addressing issues of poverty. Volunteers are critical to Bissell Centre and play a vital role in helping us achieve our mission.
Featured Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteering is a really fun way to get involved with a charity, and many volunteers are needed! If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Amanda Almeida at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780.423.2285 ext. 134
Interested in becoming a volunteer?
Volunteering with Bissell Centre is a rewarding experience for everyone involved. Is helping to make lunch for the Early Childhood Development Program a personal reward you’re looking for? Do you enjoy sharing your artistic skills with others? There are a wide variety of areas that need volunteers, and Bissell’s volunteer needs are always changing. To find out what type of volunteers we need now, please contact the Volunteer Services Manager.
Approximately 800 people volunteer at Bissell Centre each year, spending more than 8,000 hours supporting the organization’s programs and community.
Ongoing or regular volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of one scheduled shift every two weeks for at least three months. Scheduled shifts are usually 2 – 4 hours in length.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
There are a wide variety of areas that need volunteers, and Bissell’s volunteer needs are always changing. Some of our program opportunities are Drop-In, Child Care, Food Room, Admin Support, Community Closet, Summer Recreation, Women’s Lunch and much more! To explore our regular volunteer opportunities, Click Here!
Special Events Volunteers
For those who are not able to make regular commitments, but would still like to get involved you can sign up to volunteer for upcoming events. Once you have returned a completed Special Event Volunteer Application Form, you will be sent emails about upcoming Special Events and will have the option to volunteer based on your availability and willingness to be at the specified event.
Groups are required to arrange for volunteer opportunities and then submit a completed Group Volunteer Application Form. Group volunteers are welcome to participate in Special Events and also have the flexibility of suggesting volunteer activities they would be interested in doing. Click Here for Group Volunteering Opportunities 2013.
Opportunities are also available at our Moonlight Bay Centre at Lake Wabamun for volunteering and team building in the great outdoors. Click here to learn more.
1. Sign up for a Bissell Centre Tour – Contact the Manager of Volunteer Services to enquire about and sign-up for an orientation & tour. After attending a tour you will get a better feel of our programs and decide if, when and where and you want to volunteer or how you would like to support Bissell Centre.
2. Complete an Application Form – Following the tour you can fill out an application form and drop it off/email/fax it at your convenience.
3. Book an Interview – You can call to book an interview or do it right after completing the previous two steps. An interview will help to determine if you are a good fit for the volunteer position which you are applying for.
4. Send off security checks – You will be required to complete a Police Record Check at the time of the interview and will also be required to do a Child Welfare Intervention Check if you are applying for a Childcare Volunteer position. Please bring two government issued ID’s. Both should have your date of birth and one should be a picture ID. The checks will be sent off within the week of the interview, once the required information is provided.
5. Wait for a response – Once the security checks have returned and the reference checks have been completed, you will be informed as to whether or not you were successful in becoming a Bissell Centre Volunteer.
For more information about volunteering, contact Manager, Events and Volunteer Services, Amanda at 780.423.2285 extension 134 or email@example.com.
Here is our Bissell Centre Volunteer Application Form