Thrift Shoppe Store Associate
Part Time • Thrift Shoppe
About Bissell Centre
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Bissell Centre is looking for an enthusiastic and diligent Store Associate for the Thrift Shoppe. The Store Associate will assist the Store Manager and team by ensuring exceptional customer service, that is timely and friendly. They must be able to multi-task, perform duties as a cashier, work in the processing area, assist with store merchandising and cleanliness. This position is also required to receive and process donations for sale and assist donors as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates a professional, presentable appearance, and positive attitude.
- Greets customers as they enter/exit the store in a positive, friendly and professional manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to accurately ring in purchases and repeat the price of each item.
- Displays the ability to accurately process all methods of payment accepted by the store (cash, credit card, debit and voucher).
- Makes change accurately, repeats back to the customer the amount dispersed in dollars and cents. Rings credit card purchases accurately; takes responsibility for register.
- Stays alert to surroundings and alerts management to any situation that seems dangerous and/or suspicious.
- Answer telephone and provide announcements in paging system as needed.
- Reports any incidents/accidents and ensures that confidential information goes only to the appropriate person.
- Maintains a positive, team oriented relationship with peers and supervisors.
- Effectively promote sales and special events.
- Works with fellow employees to ensure that items on the sales floor are in the appropriate departments.
- Keeps work area presentable and professional
- Aids in the presentation of store displays.
- Provides excellent customer service
Sorting and Processing
- Greet all donors and receive goods in a timely and professional manner
- Turn away inappropriate items in a non-threatening manner that ensures donor/customer understanding
- Sort donations into appropriate categories, ensure items are clean and not damaged, discard unsaleable items for salvage
- When totes are full, wheel them over to the pricing station and place each item in the appropriately priced tote for price tagging
- Sort for Bissell Centre program requests when applicable
- Maintain the work area for efficient and effective sorting
General and Administrative
- Maintain records of bags sorted and items recycled
- Participate in probationary and annual performance reviews
- Attends all training/meetings as scheduled.
- Perform other duties as required
- Post specialty items and collectables on various internet platforms including; Facebook and Kijiji.
- Displays a winning, can-do attitude
- Customer service focus
- Must be 18 years or older
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills
- Basic math skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to problem-solve
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Good organizational skills
- Must be able to understand and follow basic instructions
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willing to perform routine and, at times, unpleasant tasks
- Ability to work hard
- Attention to detail
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour is consistent with these standards and aligns with the mission and core values of Bissell Centre.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Participant Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of participants and the community to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Foster, sustain and role model productive team management practices, and contribute to a positive team environment. Share expertise and knowledge to support, coach and develop others.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Conditions of Work
- Fast paced environment
- Reading small print, including price tags
- Standing for long periods
- Bending, lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Constant interaction with the public
- Works as scheduled, being flexible when needed
- Appropriately dressed in accordance with
- Follows all safety policies and procedures
- Criminal Record Check
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.