Full Time • Accounting
About Bissell Centre
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Manager, Accounting is a key member of the management team, overseeing a staff of two and one half professionals whose scope of responsibilities includes all aspects of accounting at Bissell Centre.
The Manager, Accounting supports the CFO, Program Directors, and Managers, by providing specialized expertise in areas of budgeting, accounting, and financial reporting. This individual is responsible to ensure the accuracy of all accounting record keeping and to ensure accounting/finance reporting adhere to the standard accounting practice and program funding requirements. Bissell Centre’s annual expenditures exceed $9 million.
Your success will be measured by your ability to:
- Supervise the accounting staff;
- Communicate financial information to others in a way they can use to make informed decisions;
- Prepare journal entries, balance account reconciliations, document transactions, and explain variances from budgets;
- Prepare month end financial statements with supporting analysis;
- Prepare year-end audit working papers and be the primary point of contact during the audit field work;
- Prepare special reports for funders; and
- GST reconciliation and reporting.
Your skills and strengths include:
- College or university accounting diploma or degree;
- 3 to 5 years of progressive accounting experience;
- Registration as a student or professional in an accounting association;
- Experience using SAGE 300 ERP, other SAGE accounting packages or equivalent accounting software;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; and
- Ability to self-manage, assign and supervise accounting tasks, and work in a collaborative
You can expect:
- A competitive salary;
- A comprehensive benefit package with 90% of health and dental premiums paid by Bissell, $400 annual health spending account, long term disability coverage and life insurance;
- RRSP contributions after one year of service;
- 3 weeks of vacation in first year and 4 weeks in your second year;
- Flexibility in working hours; and
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.