Fund Development Officer
Full Time • Resource Development
About Bissell Centre
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Bissell Centre is looking for a Fund Development Officer to manage Corporate Relations & In Kind Giving. This person will manage qualified donors to increase retention and where appropriate increasing their level of engagement with Bissell Centre; and, develop and execute fund development initiatives focused on new donors that will increase the overall level of donations received.
These individuals will report to the Director of Resource Development.
Corporate Relations & In-Kind Giving
The Corporate Fund Development Officer will focus on both financial and in-kind giving opportunities within the corporate and business sectors.
A. Corporate Relations – Key Responsibilities
- Produce short-term and long-term strategic plans for the Corporate Relations portfolio.
- Develop strategies to effectively identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward assigned donors with the goal of strengthening the relationship between Bissell Centre and the donor resulting in increased giving.
- Actively seek sponsorship for various events through prospecting, cultivation, and solicitation.
- Work with the Programs Departments to secure appropriate project information, including program objectives and results, and financial and In-Kind needs, which will be used to create compelling proposals, presentations and program reports for funders.
- Arrange meetings between prospects and donors with senior leaders of Bissell Centre; conduct tours of Bissell Centre’s facilities and seek to engage donors in volunteer opportunities.
- Prepare for, and facilitate, meetings and presentations to stakeholders.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to promote corporate partnerships; develop resource materials and strategies for contacting target corporations and foundations.
- Develop and maintain a database of prospective and current corporate contacts.
- Meet established financial objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
B. In-kind Solicitation – Key Responsibilities
- Produce short-term and long-term strategic plans for the In-Kind giving efforts.
- Identify corporations and businesses that have the capacity and interest to give non-financial gifts.
- Develop individual strategies for each prospective corporate donor to effectively cultivate, solicit and steward with the goal of strengthening the relationship between Bissell Centre and the donor resulting in increased giving.
- Work with the Programs Departments to identify their In-Kind needs; liaise with Community Meals and Thrift Shoppe staff on the delivery and pick-ups of solicited items.
- Update In-Kind Wish Lists as appropriate for use online, and in other communications.
- Attend relevant community events and presentations as they pertain to In-Kind donations.
- Assist with the development, implementation, and evaluation of an annual In-Kind plan.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years fund development experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or fundraising certifications is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven skills in developing and implementing fund development plans and proposals.
- Familiarity with computer software, specifically donor databases, is necessary.
- Sound knowledge of principles, proven methods, strategies of fundraising, donor relations and communications.
- Confident, enthusiastic attitude towards ability to achieve goals.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with people at an individual level and in large groups
- Ability to manage process, deadlines and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of the organization.
Conditions of Work
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Daytime travel required within the greater Edmonton area.
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Welfare Intervention Check
Bissell Centre offers above average industry benefits including employer subsidized medical and dental benefits, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, outstanding vacation and more.
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.