Casual Child Care Staff
Relief • Child and Family Services
About Bissell Centre
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Bissell Centre is looking to expand our pool of relief/casual staff in our licensed and accredited child care center. The key function of the Casual Child Care Staff is to fill in for child care staff when they are away. This position does not have set hours.
The Relief Child Care Worker is required to work with infants, toddlers and preschoolers and is responsible for creating and developing an environment that meets the individual social, physical, intellectual and emotional needs of children aged infant to six years.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all play and learning activities are conducted in a safe and healthy atmosphere
- Implement the “Learning Through Play” philosophy in day-to-day programming
- Develop activities that consider each child’s individual interests and developmental levels
- Develop activities that enhance self-esteem and encourage children’s independence, social interaction and creativity
- Establish rapport and trust with children and parents/caregivers
- Adapt or modify activities to enable children with special needs to participate
- Perform other duties as required
Education and Experience
- Child Development Supervisor designation (formerly Level 3)
- 2 year Early Childhood Development Diploma (from accredited college)
- Minimum 6 months’ related working experience
- Familiarity working with children affected by behavioural and/or developmental delays
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong listening and verbal communication skills with children, parents/caregivers and ECD staff
- Good written and oral communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Good working knowledge of possible signs of abuse/neglect
- Good working knowledge of Daycare Licensing Standards and Accreditation
- Familiarity with issues of poverty and Edmonton’s urban core
- Must be able to lift and carry approximately 30 lbs (13.5 kg)
Hours of Work
There are no fixed working hours per week. Hours will be offered on an as-needed basis with prior notification.
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.