Community Support Worker
Full Time • Drop-In Support Services
About Bissell Centre
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Bissell Centre’s Robert Tegler Friendship Centre, often referred to as the Drop-In, is a space for adults to access essential supports and services, build relationships, and participate in recreation and wellness activities.
We are looking for a qualified Community Support Worker to ensure the Drop-In is a welcoming and safe environment for all participants, and to facilitate and/or lead small groups that build skills and empower participants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure a welcoming and safe environment for all participants accessing the Robert Tegler Friendship Centre (Drop-In)
- Assist participants to access Bissell Centre services available in the Drop-In, which include: coffee, laundry, showers, lunches, haircuts and other basic need services
- Use de-escalation skills and provide crisis intervention as required
- Encourage and support participants to achieve their goals through accessing other external or internal resources and services
- Engage participants in intentional and purposeful conversations, this may include providing individual support or advocacy to participants
- Assist with maintaining the Drop-In, including: general cleanliness, stocking supplies, organizing storage areas, doing the laundry and reporting required repairs
- Assist with the orientation, ongoing training and support of volunteers
- Plan and coordinate Drop-In recreational/life skills programs and activities, alongside the Community Participation Coordinator
- Assist with other program activities and events as required, e.g. intake shifts, Moonlight Bay camps, and other special events
- Ensuring daily maintenance of Drop-In Specific logbooks, records and stats sheets
- Enter client data into the Efforts to Outcomes Database
- Attend regular meetings and training sessions as required
- Diploma or Degree in Social Work or equivalent
- Minimum 1 year relevant employment experience
- Knowledge of Aboriginal Cultural Resources, Ceremonies and Protocols is an asset
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, good time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Criminal Record and Child Welfare checks are required
This is a full time position, working 40 hours per week. Early mornings, evenings and weekends will be required.
Bissell Centre offers above average industry benefits including employer subsidized medical and dental benefits, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, outstanding vacation and more.
The above outline is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.